The strangest thing happened this past Saturday, I got one of our library books out to read to Sammy and Abby called "On Top of Spaghetti," based on the song. As I started to sing/read the book, I noticed Sammy got a sad look on her face. I didn't think too much of it and continued. By the time the meatball "rolled off the counter and onto the floor," Sammy was kind of wimpering. I stopped and asked her what was wrong. She couldn't say. As I sang, "and then my poor meatball rolled out of the door," she was really upset. I realized then that she was literally upset about the meatball. As cruel as it sounds, I kept reading to see if in fact she really was upset about the meatball. I guess I was just really surprised.
As it continued, she did not like it when the "meatball" landed on the crossinus guard's head, nor on top of the pig's hotdog. But it didn't end there, the pig squeezed the meatball and it flew into outfield and by this point she was crying real tears. Was it that she wanted to eat the meatball herself or was she just sad for the dog who lost his meatball in the first place? I do not know. I am still pondering that now. I didn't even know she liked meatballs so much. She is our resident vegetarian. Abby is the meat lover and there were no tears in her eyes.
Unfortunately, I had forgotten that the worst part of the book had not even happened yet. "It rolled in the garden and under a bush. And then my poor meatball was nothing but MUSH." At that point, she was pushing the book closed. Ever since then, we cannot get her to open the book to read or even look at it. She tells us that she does not like that book and does not want to read it. If you act like you are going to read it to her anyway, her bottom lip turns down and she looks like she may start crying...
On top of spaghetti
all covered with cheese,
I lost my poor meatball
when somebody sneezed.
It rolled off the table
And onto the floor.
And then my poor meatball
Rolled out of the door.
It rolled in the garden
and under a bush,
And then my poor meatball
Was nothing but mush.
The mush was as tasty
As tasty could be,
And early next summer
It grew into a tree.
The tree was all covered
With beautiful moss,
It grew great big meatballs
And tomato sauce.
So if you eat spaghetti
All covered with cheese,
Hold on to your meatball
And don't ever sneeze!
6 comments:
This story makes me laugh because Hudson becomes sensitive over the most minor things. Holden not at all. The mysteries of the childhood mind.
How FUNNY!
How does she do with "Green Eggs and Ham"? It is one of my favorites! I love to read it, yes I do, I even love to to read it out loud!
And I love "The Monster at the End of the Book" with Grover...I bought it at the hospital gift shop in 1980 when Grandpa F. got his cancer diagnosis...it made me smile in spite of the sadness.
That's hilarious! I especially think it's funny that you kept reading the story, even though you could tell she wasn't liking it. Way to terrorize your girl, Joyce. ha!!
My goodness. That's just great. Isn't it weird how kids have random compassion?
BTW, I just read a couple of great books (two-book series) These is My Words, and Sarah's Quilt. Although the sequel was in desperate need of editing, they were interesting reads.
That's hilarious! I love great kid stories.
Post a Comment